For the third straight year a Ford Mustang engine has made Wards Auto 10 Best Engines list with this years winner being the 662 horsepower 5.8-liter supercharged V8 found in the 2013 Shelby GT500. The win was made even more special as it was the only V8 selected to the list this year. The other winners included five 4-cylinders and four 6-cylinders, four of those were turbocharged and two were supercharged. Ford was also represented on the list by the 2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-R found in the Ford Focus ST and Taurus.
Previous winners for the Mustang lineup include the 2011 Mustang GT’s 5.0-liter V8 and the 2012 Mustang Boss 302’s 5.0-liter V8. To be eligible for the 10 Best Engines list, an engine must be available in a production vehicle on sale within the first quarter of 2013 and with a base price of less than $55,000.
This year’s winners:
- 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S5)
- 2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (BMW 328i)
- 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 135is coupe)
- 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500)
- 2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4 (Ford Focus ST/Taurus)
- 5.8L Supercharged DOHC V-8 (Ford Shelby GT500)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Cadillac ATS)
- 2.4L DOHC I-4 (Honda Accord Sport)
- 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Honda Accord)
- 2.0L FA DOHC H-4 Boxer (Subaru BRZ)
Source: Ward’s Auto